Dayton defeats Fordham to clinch regular season title
DAYTON – The University of Dayton's women's basketball team won its 15th game in a row with a 79-54 victory over the Fordham Rams at UD Arena.
The Flyers (21-4, 14-0 A-10) were crowned Atlantic 10 Regular Season Champions after defeating the Fordham Rams. This is the program's fourth A-10 Regular Season Championship.
1st quarter – The Flyers go on 14-0 scoring run over 3:21 to jumpstart a Flyer lead.
1ST Quarter: Dayton 21, Fordham 16
• Fordham jumped out to an early 6-2 lead.
• Sophomore Jayla Scaife hit a jumper to give Flyers their first lead of the game, 7-6.
• Dayton goes on 14-0 run over 3:21
• The Flyer defense forced the Rams into a 4:28 scoring drought.
• Junior Lauren Cannatelli hit three of four three-point field goals.
• No free-throw attempts for the Flyers in the first quarter.
2nd Quarter: Dayton 42, Fordham 30
• Cannatelli scored Dayton's first free-throw attempts for two points.
• Cannetelli sank a three-pointer to end a 3:11 scoring drought.
• A back-to-back jumper and a three pointer from senior Jenna Burdette extended Dayton's lead to 10 points by the first time out of the quarter; 36-26.
• JaVonna Layfield scored on a jumper for her first points of the game after 19 minutes of playing time.
3rd Quarter: Dayton 63, Fordham 45
• Dayton goes into its first timeout of the quarter with an 18-point lead of 50-32.
• Dayton goes on a 13-2 scoring run over 3:46.
• The Rams go on 6-0 scoring run during a scoring drought for the Flyers.
• Cannatelli ended Dayton's skid after scoring her sixth three-pointer of the game.
• Senior Jenna Burdette led all scorers with 24 points.
4th Quarter: Dayton 79, Fordham 53
• Flyers led by over 20 points with a score of 72-49.
• Layfield scores a layup for her 14th double-double of the season.
• Christine Szabo is subbed in and scores a three-pointer to seal the game 79-54.
• Burdette ends the game with 27 points, Cannatelli with 22, and Layfield with 13.
• Throughout the game, Dayton scored 19 points off the Rams' turnovers.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
7 – Led by senior Alex Harris with three, the Flyers put up seven blocks on defense.
19 – The Flyers scored 19 points that came from a Fordham turnover.
14 – Layfield scored 13 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to clinch her 14th double-double of the season.
17 – 17 total assists seals another team-driven win for the Flyers.
29-21 – Dayton beat the Rams on the defensive boards, 29-21.
KEY STAT – 19-3 – The Flyers outscored the Rams 19-3 on fast break points.
The Flyers return to UD Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 21 to face the George Mason Patriots in the final home game of teh season.