CO poisoning suspected of killing 2 men in Dayton within 48 hours

Two dead from CO poisoning in Dayton over the weekend (WKEF/WRGT)

DAYTON, Ohio (WKEF/WRGT) - John Gipson grew up on Dayton's west side. Gipson lives just up the street on Bluecrest from where his friend Robert Choice, 49, died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning on Friday.

"Me and [Robert] go way back. We went to school together so we were school mates," Gipson said.

Gipson got a call from Choice's family letting him know about the death of his friend.

Investigators say they found high levels of carbon monoxide in Choice's house.

Firefighters had to ventilate the home before the coroner could go inside.

Gipson couldn't believe he lost his friend to carbon monoxide.

"Something that's so easy to be fixed for $4-5 and then I'm sure that the fire department even gives them away," Gipson said.

Then Sunday, Mulumebit Dejene, 65 was found dead in his home in the 1700 block of Speice Avenue.

Fire officials say high levels of carbon monoxide were also found in his home.

Neither man had a carbon monoxide detector in his home.

"They activate at a very low level. Well before you'll start experiencing any symptoms from carbon monoxide exposure," Bryan Adams, the Fire Prevention Specialist with the Dayton Fire Department said.

If you have any appliances that burn fuel for energy, you may be at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning.

The snow and freezing temperatures can block vents trapping the odorless and tasteless gas in youre home.

"These houses out here, we all have older furnaces and everything so to get a carbon monoxide tester out here is very, very important. It doesn't make any difference out here [in this area], new homes, old homes, you need to have that in your house," Gipson said.

If you live in Dayton, you can get a detector for free. All you need to do is call the Dayton Fire Department at 333-4500. You can also Click Here and request one while supplies last. The fire department will even install them for free.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off