2 students fall ill after eating melatonin gummies brought to school

    Medics called to Dayton elementary school after kids sickened after eating candy (WKEF/WRGT

    DAYTON, Ohio (WKEF/WRGT) - First responders rushed to a Dayton elementary school Wednesday morning after some children became sick after reportedly eating candy.

    Medics and police were called to Belle Haven Elementary school on Free Pike around 11:30.

    A school resource officer called 911 reporting that three students were feeling woozy after eating candy. According to the caller, the candy had been brought to school and "may have been laced with something."

    After investigating the matter, it was determined that the candy brought in was actually over-the-counter melatonin gummies that were brought to school by another student.

    Dayton Public Schools says two of the students started feeling ill and paramedics were called. After learning the "candy" was melatonin gummies, paramedics determined the children did not need to be taken to the hospital. DPS says it was an isolated incident and no other students were involved. The student who brought the gummies to school will be disciplined according to the Student Code of Conduct, according to the district.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...