Fire victims recently removed batteries from smoke detector because it "kept chirping"

Fire destroys a Trotwood home overnight. (WKEF/WRGT)

TROTWOOD, Ohio (WKEF/WRGT) - A Trotwood family is lucky to be alive after their house caught fire in the early morning hours Wendesday.

Firefighters were called to the home on Gardendale Avenue around 3:30 a.m. Investigators have found the family had no working smoke detectors in their home. In fact, firefighters have learned the family recently took the batteries out of their alarm because it kept chirping. According to Trotwood Fire Chief Richard Haacke, families not having smoke detectors is far too common, "please contact the fire department," he told FOX 45, "We will gladly give them one."

The family of four were taken to Miami Valley Hospital where they were treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns. Firefighters say the family is lucky and could have had much worse injuries, "luckily someone in the family woke up and alerted the family and they were able to get out," said Chief Haacke.

Investigators are now working to figure out what started the fire.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off