Dunbar boys basketball team to take the court against Fenwick after court ruling
DAYTON, Ohio (WKEF/WRGT) — The Dunbar boys basketball team will take the floor at UD Arena at 9:30 p.m. Wednesday for the sectional final against Fenwick.
The Wolverines were allowed back into the state tournament after a court ruled in their favor Tuesday night.
The Ohio High School Athletic Association argued Dunbar played an ineligible player in a playoff game last week against Thurgood Marshall, stemming from a fight that broke out between the two teams during a game in January.
The OHSAA ruled Dunbar must forfeit the playoff game and thus be eliminated from the tournament.
Dayton Public Schools filed a lawsuit claiming the player in question shouldn’t have been ruled ineligible.
The court ruled in favor of Dunbar, putting it back in the state tournament.
A parent outside Dunbar High School Wednesday told FOX 45 she was happy with the outcome.
“Good for them to even say this isn’t fair and we’re going to do something about it,” Diamone Collins said. “To actually have a victory from that was a win and they deserve it. The players really deserve to play.”
Collins says that feeling was widespread amongst parents and players in the community.
The OHSAA said it’s disappointed with the court’s decision but will not appeal.