DAYTON, Ohio (WKEF/WRGT) - Beloved area brunch spot Butter Cafe is mourning the loss of their co-owner, Sarah Dudley. Police said Dudley and her boyfriend, who was also an employee, were found unconscious from a possible drug overdose early Sunday morning.
Butter Cafe co-owner Sarah Beaver called 911 and told dispatchers, “My business partner is on the floor in my office and she’s not moving. She’s not moving. I don’t think she’s breathing. I don’t think they were partying I’m telling you, you got to come now.”
According to police reports, a small clear baggie with seven capsules was found in the office. 6 were filled with an unknown substance, while 1 was empty. Co-owner Sarah Dudley pronounced dead at the scene, while employee David Duncan was given Narcan and taken to a nearby hospital. A neighbor of Dudley’s can't believe the loss.
“I’m just really shocked,” Steven said. “I think our neighborhood lost a really good person a positive person.”
Police reports said Beaver knew Dudley had a history using drugs, including Duncan’s latest arrest for "ecstasy by UD.”
“She was just an extremely sweet person and her restaurant that she’s part owner of is wonderful,” Steven added.
Pita Pit owner Dain Peters, whose location is down the street from Butter Cafe, is also in shock.
“I’ve been here a couple months doing construction first overdose I’ve heard within the mile range and that’s terrible,” Peters said.
Duncan is in serious condition at Miami Valley Hospital. The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office has not yet released Dudley’s cause of death.