Keowee Street Bridge to close in January; construction will continue through 2019
DAYTON, Ohio (WKEF/WRGT) – The replacement of the Keowee Street Bridge is underway. Crews said the bridge will be closed down so they can work beginning January 2.
Keowee Street will be closed from Stanley Avenue to Embury Park Road, and North Dixie Drive will be closed from Embury Park Road to Drill Avenue. Embury Park road will also be closed from Kearns Avenue to Elkhart Avenue.
If any of these roads are part of your drive, here’s how you can get around the closings:
- Main Detour: Stanley Avenue to I-75 to Needmore Road
- Detour for Embury Park Road: Kearns Avenue to Drill Avenue/Ome Avenue to Elkhart Avenue
- To get to the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery: if coming from south of the Keowee Street Bridge, take Helena Street to Riverside Drive to Ridge Avenue to DeWeese Parkway; if coming from north of the bridge, use Siebenthaler Avenue to Ridge Avenue to DeWeese Parkway
- To get to the Great Miami River Recreational Trail: Eagle Bridge Company will construct a detour, making a paved ramp to the top of the levee, across Keowee Street at the north end of the bridge and back down a paved ramp from the train. The detour is expected to be completed in the next 3 to 4 weeks, and will stay in place until the bridge is completed
- Boat traffic will also not be able to go under the bridge during construction, but the portage route for boaters is the same as the one of the Great Miami River Recreational Trail.
According to Montgomery County Engineer Paul Gruner said the construction and associated road work will stretch through September 1, 2019.