Pitbull puppy recovering after ingesting heroin
UPDATE: DAYTON, Ohio (WRGT) -- An adorable puppy, oblivious to his surroundings, accidentally ingests heroin, and leads to story you hear about humans all too often.
Diesel was just sticking to his instincts, when Montgomery County Animal Control Center Director Mark Kumpf said the dog accidentally ingested heroin.
"When he arrived at the vet he was in bad shape," said Kumpf.
The veterinarian administered naloxone. The same medication used to block the effects of the opiate in humans.
"The nasal version or the injection version; you can give either one," said Kumpf.
Kumpf admits this is rare, but said this isn’t the first heroin exposure for the puppy.
"There have been at least one, possibly two, other incidents involving the same subjects and individuals," said Kumpf about their investigation into the incident.
Diesel’s owners, Melissa Myers and David Bendig are being charged with cruelty to animals. A seizure hearing is scheduled for December 27th, and until then the puppy will remain at the Control Center. Moving forward, he will be monitored closely.
"There's not a lot of data out there on heroin exposure to dogs,” said Kumpf about the dog’s future.
Right now, the puppy is not dealing with any future side effects, nor is he up for adoption. When the time is ready, he will not be adopted locally.
DAYTON, Ohio (WRGT) - The owners of a pit bull puppy are facing charges after the animal ingested heroin.
"Diesel" was taken in by the Montgomery County Animal Resource Center on November 25 after the owners brought the puppy to the Animal Resource Center. The owner brought Diesel in after the dog was suffering from "accidental heroin ingestion." We're told authorities there had to use Narcan on "Diesel." Narcan is a medication that can reverse the effects of an opioid overdose -- more commonly used by humans.
The dog's owners David Bendig and Melissa Myers both face animal cruelty charges, which are misdemeanors. Bendig and Myers are set to have their initial court appearance on December 27.
"Diesel" is being cared for by the Animal Resource Center and is not available for adoption. Animal Resource Center officials say this is not the first time "Diesel" has been exposed to heroin.